Friday 4 October 2013

Uni Starters

So, I have been at Uni for a good two weeks now. First week however is known as Freshers week, where us freshers go around and simply drink every night! It is not required, but most students seem to do it. For me it was a goal I had to achieve as I never go out much.

Starting Uni and moving to a new place is always a bit scary but after a while you do kinda get used to it. I was the very first person to move into my flat. In our student building there are 9 flats. A few people had already moved into the other flats, but I was the only one in mine for a while. Since I had a good few hours on my own, I took advantage of the time to claim kitchen spaces and look around to get a good feel for the place. My bedroom was way bigger than the little box of a room I had at home, I also got a great sea view!
Some Uni residencies had ridiculous sized rooms though. Tiny rooms with no space to walk, like prison cells. I guess I was just lucky. But my advice is, when you move in claim a kitchen space and part of the fridge. When you're the first in the flat it is a lot easier ha ha.
Another tip would be to keep your door open. When your flatmates finally arrive they can see you and that way you seem more open and sociable. I got to know my flatmates really quickly by doing that. Also, go look around the other flats. Don't just stick to your own flat. Look around the building and meet more people that you are sharing it with. On my first day before my flatmates arrived the top floor people came down and asked me to go out around town with them so we can check out what the best places for a great night out are. You always want to check out the nightlife, you will be living there for quite a while and you are always going to want to unwind a little bit after doing work.
Another thing you have to do is know your limits or you will make a fool of yourself. The flats upstairs get wasted and do stupid things and no one invites them out anymore. Also, don't be a prick to people in your building, that's just not cool and it pisses a lot of people off. Don't try be the king of the building because no one will like you and you will have less fun.
When cleaning is concerned, it is always good to share the responsibility. Don't just leave it to other flatmates to clean your stuff. That will piss them off. Cover all duties of the flat between you and switch duties every week so one person isn't doing the toilet every week until the end of the year. That is just not fair on anyone.
Last but not least, respect your flatmates. If you come in late after a night out please respect their sleep as they might have lectures in the morning. Even if they don't, be quiet. No one likes being woken up late at night. Do not enter their rooms unattended and without permission, respect their privacy.
The rest of the stuff you have to do for Uni should be simple and obvious. Just make friends, don't be a prick to people, share responsibilities and don't hog the shower! xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment