Tuesday 3 September 2013

New Sims 4!

Yes, it is true. The new version of the Sims is on it's way. I have to be honest, I am not that excited about it. When I was a child it was the time when the first Sims came out. I wasn't that much into computer gaming and was spending most of my time playing Scarface and The Godfather on PS2. My friend who lived next door to me actually introduced me to the game. I played it with her for a while and I instantly got hooked. I remember buying the first game for my computer from Woolworths and loving everything about it.
 I borrowed the other expansion packs from my friend and expanded my tiny empire. At the time I didn't use any cheats as I wasn't aware of them. So it was fun honest gaming. I loved controlling all these little Sims and planning lives for them.
 But it always bugged me that they never grew older and even with expansion packs it is very limited to what the Sims can actually achieve.
So, you can guess my excitement when the Sims 2 came out. I remember seeing it advertised on TV and going nuts. But at the time I hadn't played Sims in a while after my computer broke. I had been playing the Sims games on PS2 and had already completed both The Sims and The Sims Bustin' Out. Ah, I loved my childhood...So back on track. I borrowed the 4 Disc Sims 2 pack from my friend as she usually was the first person to get any of the Sims games and used it on my Aunties laptop until I got my own. Even though the base games are very...well, ya know...basic...I had a lot of fun. You had more choice with everything. You can actually make your family related, You could get teenagers, You had more choice of clothing and they got older over time.
 The graphics was so much better and you can view things from different angles when you are playing a family. You could choose the neighbourhood layout and put houses where ever you want (as long as it is on a road).
 You also had more choice in build mode and it was nice to have a few houses already built for you.
 Then after every expansion pack it just got better. The seasons changed, you could have pets, go on vacation and live in apartments! It was like having a real little town and I loved everything about it.
Then Sims 3 came along and I thought it would be cool. By then I couldn't play The Sims 2 anymore. My old laptop broke and had to wait a while before buying a new one...which had Windows 8. Now all the Sims fans reading this will know about this issue. The Sims 2 will always crash if you have a Windows 8 operating system. Its shiny new graphics for the present day gaming out-dates The Sims and The Sims 2 causing it to crash, mostly when you try and create a family. Some people have even said it will not even install on their Windows 8 laptops. So of course being away from the game for so long I decided to buy The Sims 3, along with The Sims 3 Pets. I had to admit, I did not like it. The town was already set up for you so there were no houses to put in place unless you wanted to make a new one, which I will say was still fun. The graphics were great and the Sim themselves were more accurate to real people...well...closer than the original game anyway. There was even more variety to make them even more human-like than before by using sliders to choose skin colour, body size etc etc.
The pets looked cool too and actually looked like the breeds they are supposed to be. I loved that you can finally have a horse, which made my fantasy farm come true...almost, because I still want farmyard animals. But it was one step closer. The things I did not like was that when you leave one family and play another, all families you have made continue their lives. This didn't work for me at all as I had plans for each family and when left to free will that all messed up and nothing went as planned. Playing as a teen you can be arrested for staying out late and your pets always run off where ever they want unless you lock them in the house or you build a fence. It was just so annoying every time I was playing a family, the horse from my previous family I played is just trotting around the streets. I like to keep things organised and this game just wouldn't let it happen. I got bored of it and it tried my patience so much I didn't even bother getting the other expansion packs for it. It didn't help that the game would crash. Maybe it was the same problem with Windows 8, but it didn't do it as much as on The Sims 2 game. I just had to keep saving every 5 minutes.
But now they are bringing out a Sims 4! I am not sure if I can handle it again. Apparently the graphics are even better and the Sims are more lifelike than ever as the creators have given them emotions. For example, Sims can feel depressed when listening to a sad song or getting dumped by another Sim. Yes, real emotions. So not only do you have to keep up with motives, but you have to watch out for your Sims emotions.

The creators have made building a lot easier too by making it so you build your house room by room. You can easily change shape of a room and link it to other rooms and if you get sick of what you have made you can simply just grab a room and move it somewhere new. I admit, I like the sound of that. But it is not the building I have a problem with. I like to pick a layout for my town and decide where each house is going to go. I do not want to be restricted. For the create a Sim, they have got rid of the sliders.
All you have to do is click on a body part and move/shape it to whatever you want your Sim to look like. So, just like making a clay model. I might buy the base game when it comes out as I am curious as to if I would like it and what other changes they have made to my most loved game. But, for me, The Sims 2 will always be the best.

 The Sims 4 Official Gameplay Trailer

The Sims 4 Official Arrival Trailer







No comments:

Post a Comment